Stay in Remission Longer
What exactly is tumor preservation all about?
Tumor preservation is exactly what it says.
During surgery, the tissue and fluid from the tumor are preserved **ALIVE** for further study at a later time.
It is ideal for every cancer patient, but especially those who are interested in personalized treatment, targeted at the genetic makeup of their tumor.
What your surgeon or oncologist doesn’t have time to tell you… and you often learn too late!
- Your tumor holds all the secrets about your cancer.
- Your tumor is not routinely stored alive at the hospital. Only a small part is preserved, and the majority is discarded as medical waste.
- At the time of surgery, patients sign paperwork that transfers ownership of their tumor to the cancer center, and do not own or have access to it.
- There is a class of cellular immunotherapies that require your tumor (cancer cells) preserved alive.
- Chemotherapy agents and similar drugs can be tested and prioritized in the lab, outside the body.
5 Questions for your clinical team, surgeon, or oncologist:
- What are you going to do with my tumor after surgery?
- In addition to my tissue preserved paraffin, will my cancer cells be cryo-preserved (alive) at the hospital?
- Will these cancer cells belong to me afterward or owned by the hospital?
- Can I request a part of my live cancer cells be transferred to a different center or diagnostic company?
- Is there a formal process to request such live-cell transfers, and how fast will your team respond?
StoreMyTumor & Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
StoreMyTumor Has a partnership with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Through this partnership, your hospital has StoreMyTumor kits available and on-site.
Here’s how it works:
Complete your registration form. We will coordinate with you and your surgical team – our specially prepared collection kits are already on-location at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Day of Surgery
Your surgeon will place the tumor tissue in the kit, and the courier is called for pickup. Prepaid shipping labels are included.
Two Options to Learn More
1. Tell your oncologist that you would like to store your tumor ALIVE with StoreMyTumor.
Many patients ask their hospital if they will store their tumor, and the answer is typically, “yes” – which is misleading. Hospitals preserve a small part in paraffin or flash frozen. Neither of those options preserves the cells alive. Unlike hospitals, StoreMyTumor cryo-preserves the cells alive.
2. Talk to one of our patient advisors by scheduling a phone call below.
The quickest way to get answers to your questions and to learn how tumor preservation and testing can benefit you is to schedule a time to speak with a patient advisor. This is a free conversation, and there is no obligation to utilize StoreMyTumor.